(Australian Associated Press)
AUSTRALIAN MOTHERS ACROSS A DECADE: 2003-2013
* The average age of women who gave birth rose from 29.5 years to 30.1 years
* The average age of first-time mothers rose from 27.6 years to 28.6 years
* The oldest mother to give birth rose from 53 years to 56 years. However, a 60-year-old woman had a baby in 2010 and a 62-year-old broke the Australian record in 2016.
* The number of women aged 40 and over who gave birth rose from 8000 (3.2 per cent) to 13,389 (4.4 per cent)
* The number of women aged under 20 who gave birth fell from 11,617 (4.6 per cent) to 10,186 (3.3 per cent)
* The number of mothers aged 40 and over has exceeded the number of teenage mothers since 2010 and continues to rise.
(Source: Australia’s Mothers and Babies 2013 report, released in December 2015 by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare)